Sunday 15 May 2016

Redefined friendship- A short story


When I got up in the morning that day, rubbing my eyes and trying to see the world, I gave a glance to my cell. I saw a row of messages, displayed to my phone. One by one I read the notification. I replied to all of them with a smile but then I clicked on this one particular message which shook me to the core, it read as follows:

"Your best friend is no more. He died last night making way to his home."
 
I read the message. I re-read it again and chills went down the spine as I was stuck to the words “No more”. I was numb and couldn’t believe what it told me. I immediately called on his number and no one picked up. I again called but I got the same result. I got nervous. My heart beat had started to go up and ending at high rates. My mind stopped working. That message had ruined my morning. Sweat beads appeared to accompany my forehead. I had no clue of what to do, I was not able to think. I punched my phone hard when it got hanged because of continuous calling. I saw his last seen; it was the same where our last conversation ended with a 'fuck off' word. I called the sender of the message.

"What the fuck are you saying?" My voice was breaking into pieces. I was grieving. I was crawling. My breath was so loud that he could hear it on other side.

There was silence engulfing me. Perhaps even he was not able to accept the fact. Even he must be feeling just like me. His mind must have fought hard against his heart to accept the fact. How could he just tell me so randomly that my friend was no more in this world. No, No I couldn’t accept it. My belief didn’t let me believe that!
 
"Answer me you asshole. What happened to him?"

With each second my heart was thumping louder and louder. My mind was not under my control. My leg started shaking as I found it hard to stand on ground anymore. My body shivered, dropping in signals to the mind that "he is not there anymore." Everything around me was blacking out. I desperately wanted to hear someone saying   that “No! He is alive. He’ll text you in some time.” I wanted him to be alive.

"Calm down please" A voice brought me back to reality after some time. He must have gathered a lot of guts to speak those words. He knew how much he meant to me although time between us was tough.


"Life has done wrong with him" He continued.

"Is he dead?” I finally spoke gasping whatever he said.



There was a pin drop silence for some moment. The silence spoke unspoken words. I needed no answer.

"On the name of Holy God please say no.” I murmured.

"He is"

Nooooo!" I shrieked. “He can't go. How could he? He promised me to stay with me throughout my life. He can’t."

I started crying. I broke completely. I started losing my breathe. My phone has sided down and I was freezing. My body felt weak and I couldn't find the courage to stand up anymore. I fell down on earth, as my phone came apart. My eyes slowly closing as I was making my way to unconsciousness. I closed my eyes with a sentence and a voice which was grieving "You were meant to be with me.”

After some time, a tall figure was there, broad forehead but a thin; smiling. A fair complexion and some acne were destroying his charm. I recognized him. It was him. That same guy, irritating guy in his worst sense of fashion. The shirt which I didn’t like at all and the jeans which was not washed for so many ages. Yes it was him. I got up with a force. My head felt heavy as if I was hammered. I stretched my hand. Reaching to his hand and trying to touch his fingers. He moved ahead leaned a bit and he touched mine. Yes he is a live. I cried as soon as he touched me. That message was a prank.


"Why did you do that prank?”


I cried more and more and couldn't hold it. I pulled him and hugged him tightly. I slapped him hard again and again. I embraced him again.


“I can't let you go ever and if you do this again I’ll walk away from you, I swear.”
 
I couldn’t hold the joy within myself. I wanted to just hug him and be with him. He pushed me aside, saw my face and wiped my tears. He smiled looking at me. He might be thinking "You are a bad beast but you care so much. Why don't you show this side of yours to me before?” He was silently observing me. I laid down on bed, still crying and trying to adjust what has happened and finally it was time to ask the reason so I asked:
 
"Why-why did you do that?"



"Doctor- doctor" I heard a voice.



"Please call doctor soon"



"What happened beta?”

I could hear several voices. Creating a chaotic situation. His voice lost among so many voices. I couldn’t understand what was happening.
 
I slowly opened my eyes. I saw several people around me hovering over my hospital bed. I was in the hospital.

"What? What am I doing here?” My eyes grew wild and I was aghast to see the hospital environment around me.

"Beta. Just relax everything is fine.” My mother sat by me.

“What am I doing here?” I shouted out of irritation. "Where is he? Call him right now"



"Who he beta? We all are here.” She explained.

My face fell silent. I looked at their faces. There face was numb as well. They also knew that he was my best friend in this unknown city.



My mum held my hand and put her arm on my forehead. It signaled me. My breath was heavier and hotter.



"Noo"
 
I screamed as loud as I could but my voice stuck after a time. It couldn't be heard. It was mourning as well. I saw his figure in front of me before I went to stage of numbness.
"Nurse injection please" I heard the last sentence.


"You are too irritating. Why don't you just take a break and not disturb me?" I texted him, clearly; sending a hard message of not disturbing me.
"You sure? You really don't want to disturb you? Am I so irritating?"
"Yea you are. Now can I resume my work?
"Sure but I didn’t intent to irritate you"
"Fuck off" last message to show that my saturation point is no longer able to hold me.

He didn't reply nor did I bother to check what the impact of my message was.


I call him best friend but things turned into mess many times. With time, importance decayed but the tag of best friends was there. I knew his and my life has never been easy to live. His only helping hand was me. I enjoyed the perk of being his best friend always. I didn't justify my act many times but he always stood with me. That's why I loved him so much.


He must have gone to walk after my last conversation with him. I didn't know that what had happened with him but I knew I missed the star of my life who stood by my side all the time.
I opened my eyes again. I felt thirsty. I got up forcing myself. I took the glass of water which was on tea pot put aside me. I gulped the water. I saw family was replaced by friends. They must have come to check on me. I saw everyone. Their eyes owned the same words.

"We will miss him."

Tears rolled out again. All came and hugged me. We all cried together.


It’s almost two weeks now. My late night chat has ended now around eleven. Cell never beeped at three after that. No one threw any compliment or dislike comments on my dp. Everyone seemed normal except me. I never got a good morning message from that number again. No facebook tag or snapchat for me after that. No one told me how beautiful I am looking. No one came along me to make me feel  alive. No one after that, spent time with me to enjoy my enjoyment. They all spent time to enjoy themselves. I was left alone in a crowd, less bothered how I am doing. Life ditched me and didn’t give me a chance to tell…
 
I wish I could stay with him for a longer period.
I wish I could tell him how much he means.
I wish I could tell him how life has been so comfortable having him around.
I wish I could tell him how his escape was emptying my life.
I wish I could tell him how life is so void without his unexpected calls and messages.
I wish I could tell him how happy I was having him in my life.
I wish I could compliment him for whatever I liked him about.
I wish I could dedicate songs just like he used to do.
I wish I could bring cake on his birthday just like he brought for me.
I wish I could just stand by his side just like he did. Although it caused irritation at times.
I cried watching our snaps again, though in every snap he was looking messed and I  was beautiful. Still he never insisted to delete those snaps rather deleted those which presented him.
I wish I could undo my last night message and tell him that you are irritating but  my favorite hobby is to get irritated by you
I wish I could tell him that I love him just like he loved me and I care more of this friendship then he did. I don’t just show.
I wish I could shout at him saying if you wanted to go then why did you come to my life and made it happening, at least a bit happening.
I wish I could speak all the unspoken words….

I cried a lot that night seeing and reading his chat and stupid talk to make me laugh. Every incident has some connection with him, be drinking a  coffee or beer, be walking on the road, be my angry face, be getting bored on Sunday, be talking to someone while I was on my way to buy groceries, be it any work of my life I missed him badly. All I had was his photo and chats . His memory killed me daily. I surely lost an annoying but a friend who cared for me like no one ever did.  I learnt two things after that incident

A famous saying which says “”Yesterday is accident, tomorrow is mystery and today is a gift. That's why it is called present””. Try to enjoy with those who make your today a gift and  second what's the benefit of holding grudges with someone if you get bad news next day. You will never be able to forgive yourself. Life is short but someone's might be shorter.
 
I held her hand. She was sobbing, tears rolling from her eyes, sticking to her cheeks. "I can understand agony through which you must have gone through. But are you sure you want to scribble the same on the pages?"

“Yes!" She nodded as I being a loyal friend sent through the manuscript of her emotions to a leading publisher. After a year her friendship was a best seller and she made her friendship immortal in this world.


 Follow me on:


Facebook

Goodreads



Twitter


Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment